Friday, January 3, 2014

"…from afar… and nearby”

I’m still having a hard time visualizing it.

Even when I was being interviewed, I’ve been hearing about “The Kings.”

Each time followed by a description tumbling out of the speaker’s mouth about their size and that they are so tall and that they need so many puppeteers and pages and they walk all the way around and there’s a star on a fifteen-foot pole and and and…

But despite seeing some pictures, I can’t quite wrap my head around them.  They kind of defy my imagination.

I do kind of get the feeling of anticipation about the wonderful transit of the magi which must have rippled along each town they traveled through.  Just wait until you see them!  Just wait!  There are not many things in this modern world which inspire that sort of wonder and expectancy, so I’m enjoying this tiny moment of “ooh, ooh! This is cool!  You have got to see this!”

Although Matthew makes a big thing about the distance the magi travel, we need to remember that meeting the Child is just as big a deal for folks right around here, too.  Many people have “heard of” God’s love in Christ, but only intellectually or from afar, not nearby and personally.  They know that the Bible says Jesus loves them, but it’s impersonal data, sort of like Albany is the capital of New York State or Bethlehem is the capital of Judea.  True enough, but so what?  They need to experience the effect for themselves, to have the interaction and the connection, to meet Jesus like the magi did two-thousand-plus years ago in Bethlehem.  And that happens in this day and age best of all in the context of church community, our church community.  Folks nearby meet Jesus best through us.  You know that old line, “I guess you kind of had to be there?”  Well, you kind of have to be here!  So I really encourage you to start the year out offering gentle invitations to the people you love to come to First Congregational to encounter the God who loves them… wherever they, like the magi, are on their journey.

So help me out this week: I want to “get” it, if you will show me the marvel of the magi.  But still, I hope you mark our Epiphany Sunday celebration of Jesus’ first guests by inviting a bunch of guests from nearby to come with you.  Or even non-guests who haven’t attended recently.  Help everyone follow the light of Christ!

                                                          In the ongoing light of Christmas,

                                                                      
                                                                                David

And a last note to thank all of you deeply for your Christmas generosity to my family this year.  I admit that I got cards and notes separated from some of the gifts of cookies and breads and treats, but whoever baked whatever: they were all delicious.  Thank you.  I think I will take your likewise generous monetary gift and treat myself to some local products from local vendors and to pick up some music from local bands.  Ten square miles of generosity!  Many thanks and our best wishes for 2014.


Texts For Sunday Worship:
      From the Prophets                 Isaiah 60:1-6
      From the Gospels                  Matthew 2:1-12 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts on this post in a spirit of love for God, yourself, and each other. All comments are checked before posting. While you may post anonymously, we encourage you to leave your name!